Nepal Travel Information
Passport & Visas:
All the travelers should have valid passport for at least six months and visa can be obtain from Nepalese embassy or consulate in your country, however visa is stamp at the time of arrival in Airport. Children bellow 10 years need not pay any visa fee. Travelers willing to get entry visa at the air port or at any entry points in Nepal are required to fill a visa form with passport and photographs while passing through the immigration.
Chinese citizen are requested to apply in the Nepalese embassy or other Nepalese diplomatic missions as there is no provisions of on arrival visa for them.
You can apply for Nepal tourist visa through online too. Please find the below link for application form;
Transit visa can be obtained from the Airport Immigration Office for a period of 48 hours on presentation of confirmed air ticket.
- Gratis visa for 30 days available only for tourists of SAARC countries
- Multiple entry 15 days - US$ 25 or equivalent convertible currency
- Multiple entry 30 days - US$ 40 or equivalent convertible currency
- Multiple entry 90 days - US$ 100 or equivalent convertible currency
It can be extended at the Department of Immigration, Maitighar, Kathmandu.
- Visa extension fee for 15 days or less is US $ 30 or equivalent convertible currency and visa extension fee for more than 15 days is US$ 2 per day
- Tourist visa can be extended for a maximum period of 150 days in a single visa year (January – December).
Currency & Exchange
Nepal’s official currency is the Nepalese Rupees. Nepalese Rupees are found in denominations of 1000, 500, 100, 50, 20, 10, 5, 2 and 1. Coins are found in denominations of Rs. 5, Rs. 2, Rs. 1 and 50 paisa. One rupee equals 100 paisa.
All Major Banks, hotels, and the exchange counters in Kathmandu, Pokhara Chitwan and other touristic towns provide services for exchanging foreign currency. However, only 10 percent of the total amount may be converted by the bank. ATM is widely in use in Kathmandu and other cities.
Foreign Currency and Credit Card
Credit cards like American Express, Master and Visa are widely accepted at major hotels, shops, travel- trekking agencies and restaurants. Remember to keep your Foreign Exchange Encashment Receipt while making foreign exchange payments or transferring foreign currency into Nepalese rupees.
Time and Off Day
Nepal Standard Time is 5 hours 45 minutes ahead of GMT and 15 minutes ahead of Indian standard time. Saturday is the official off-day in Nepal and all the Nepal Government offices remain closed.